|Murdoch`s Bathhouse is one of Galveston`s most historic locations. Originally built in the late 1800`s, the wood structure was constructed directly on the sand. Without the protection of a Seawall , the 1900 storm destroyed the bathhouse.
Bathhouses such as Murdoch`s, which were located on the shore, rented bathing suits and provided showers for the Island visitors. When Murdoch`s reopened in 1910, it had 542 rooms, 251 for women and 291 for men. The cost at the time to rent the bathroom services were .25c.
In 1910, Mr. William J. Guyette Sr. opened Guyette Gift Shop inside Murdoch`s. He knew that with so many visitors coming to Galveston Island, a shop that offered these visitors souvenirs, shells and trinkets, would be a great idea.
That same year, Gaido`s Seafood restaurant was also opened inside Murdoch`s Bathhouse. Both establishments are still thriving today and are considered Galveston institutions.
Mr. Guyette`s son, William J. Guyette Jr. , took over operations of the gift shop after serving five years in the U.S. Army during World War II. With Mr. Guyette Sr. living just across the street at the Moody House, the 2nd generation would continue the daily operations of Guyette Gift Shop.
In 1961, Hurricane Carla destroyed the bath house yet again. Reconstruction this time replaced the grander bathhouse with the two oblong wood structures, built several steps above the seawall and carried out over the Gulf of Mexico on wood pilings.
In 1974, Mr. William J. Guyette Jr.`s son-in-law, James W. Little, took over operations of Guyette Gift Shops. Although Mr. Guyette still remained active in the shops, Mr. James Little, the 3rd generation, had now begun to take charge.
In 1983, Hurricane Alicia hit Galveston Island. This storm required the pier to have minor repairs.
In 2005, the family connected the existing piers with a breezeway and porch overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. Since the State of Texas, will not allow anymore piers to be built, it stands on some of the original piling that once held Murdoch`s Bathhouse.
In 2008, Hurricane Ike destroyed Murdochs, and in 2009, miraculously, a brand new, sparkling Murdochs returned in its place.